A USI delegation comprising the following members visited Vietnam from 27 November to 30 November 2017 for the Bilateral Discussion between the United Service Institution of India (USI) and Institute for Defence International Relations (IDIR), Vietnam:-
- Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, PVSM, AVSM, NM & Bar (Retd), USI Council Member, former CISC and C-in C Western Naval Command.
- Lt Gen AK Ahuja, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, SM, VSM & Bar (Retd), USI Council Member, formerly Defence Attaché to Vietnam and Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, HQ IDS.
- Maj Gen BK Sharma, AVSM, SM & Bar (Retd), Deputy Director (Research) and Head of Centre for Strategic Studies and Simulation, USI.
- Maj Gen PK Goswami, VSM (Retd), Deputy Director (Adm) at the USI, Former SDS, NDC.
In Vietnam the seminar was attended by Col PS Punia, SM, VSM, Indian Defence Attaché in Hanoi and Shri Aman Bansal, Second Secretary (representative from Embassy of India).
The two sides discussed geopolitical trends in the Indo-Pacific region, dynamics of Indo-Vietnam relations with China and US and developments in outer space and cyber space. The delegates from both the countries presented on the following issues:
- Security environment in Indo-Pacific region: challenges and prospect
- Situation in East Sea, the Impact to Region
- India’s relation with U.S. and China
- The Relationships between Vietnam- China and US
- Achievement and prospects of Vietnam – India relation
- Vietnam-India Relation: Situation and Solution
- Evolving frontiers of warfare in cyber and space domain
On the whole, the visit to Vietnam was very useful in developing rapport with the IDIR and paving the way for enhanced cooperation between the two Think Tanks.