USI conducted Strategic Gaming Exercise – I for 45 Higher Command Course at Army War College, Mhow from 22 Jul to 23 Jul 16. The aim of the exercise was to train the participants of HC-45 in understanding the geopolitical and security dynamics that impact India’s national security and necessitate evaluation of military options and use of force in furtherance of national interests.
USI Core Team
- Lt Gen P K Singh, PVSM, AVSM (Retd) – Director, USI
- Maj Gen B K Sharma, AVSM, SM**(Retd) – Deputy Director Research and Head of Centre for Strategic Studies, USI
- Maj Gen RPS Bhadauria, VSM (Retd) – Exercise Coordinator
- Vice Adm Shekhar Sinha, PVSM, AVSM (Retd) – Former FOC-in-C
- Lt Gen AK Sahni, PVSM,UYSM,SM,VSM(Retd) – Former Army Commander
- Lt Gen Davinder Kumar, PVSM, VSM** (Retd)- Former SO in C
- Amb RS Kalha, IFS (Retd)
- Amb VivekKatju, IFS (Retd)
- Amb Sanjay Singh, IFS (Retd)
SCOPE OF THE EXERCISE
- Visualization of India’s national interests and strategic objectives.
- Understanding the impact of evolving geopolitical and security scenarios on India’s national security.
- Evaluation of Pakistan-China strategic nexus and its manifestation vis-à-vis India.
- Appraisal of the military reforms being undertaken by China, and their implications on the regional security.
- Evaluating the fault lines of adversaries and the capabilities required to exploit the same.
- Understanding the dynamic security situation in our western neighbourhood, particularly in Afghanistan, and assessing the impact on our national security.
- Study the changing nature of warfare; its hybrid and asymmetric character, and need for a ‘de novo’ approach to military strategy, force structuring and development in the Indian context.
- Decision making by the National Command Authority (NCA) and nuances of Escalation Domination Control.
BRIEFING CUM DISCUSSION WITH MENTORS AT USI
Opening Remarks By Cdr, HC Wing & Director , USI
Presentations cum Panel discussions
Summing Up by Comdt, Army War College
Presentation of Memento by Comdt to Director, USI